Newbie needing help

I’ve slowly been working on making my own diy electronic wind instrument with a Teensy 3.5 and am wanting to use the touch/slide board from a guitar hero controller to change the octave. Now, I could use a capacitive touch breakout board but was wondering if anyone would be able to help me figure out how the board works and how/if it can be connected to the teensy on it’s own. It’s got 2 chips on it and so far I know one is a multiplexer but the other is still unknown.

2 Likes

@joeyloman has some musical experience and might have ideas.

@Sixthseraph Sounds like an awesome project, I’d be glad to help if I can. Can you send me a few more close up pictures with all of the text legible? I’ll PM my email. It’ll pretty much come down to determining if there’s a communication protocol implemented (SPI, I2C, UART/USART) or if it’s pure transistor-transistor logic (TTL). I’d be willing to bet it’s TTL.

1 Like

@Sixthseraph I powered your device with 3.3v and scoped it to observe the output. 4 out of 5 of the touch pads produced unique outputs. One pad did not change the output at all. As you can see in the photo, Pad 4 and produces the same output as if you touched no pads at all.

Another thing I noticed is that the output voltages are unusually low. 300mV max. My thought is that this might actually be a 5v device and not 3.3v. That might explain the low output voltages and the non responsive pad. The MUX can handle 5v but we don’t know about the unknown chip. Are there any voltage markings on either the cable or the board that connects to this slider? If you want to take a chance and try 5v I will but there is a chance the unknown chip could be damaged. Your call.

1 Like

Go ahead and try 5v. Worst case scenario I got some buttons I can use

Tested with 5v and got the same results with higher input voltages. With no info on the unknown chip there’s not much more that can be done.

I need u to teach me actually. This all sounds really freaking cool.

How to make an EWI? I’m not even sure if the one I made will work. Put it down for a long while, finally finished building it, then reality slapped me upside the back of the head and reminded me I know jack shit about coding beyond basic html/css.

Coding is fine tbh. I just want to make circuits that do stuff.