Leveling with a feeler gauge?

So I got this feeler gauge and I keep leveling my printer with it, I keep having no luck. When I leveled it at the mill it worked fine. I used a 0.20 I think and I went around to points 1-5 each once, had @garrett give me some gcode and off to the races I went.

Now I ordered my own feeler gauge (from amazon here - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRDBZ5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and I’m having absolutely no luck. I was leveling for almost an hour before completely giving up.

Is it my gcode? I don’t know.

Anyway I’m having SUCH a hard time getting the first layer to even stick. I have a spool of Hatchbox PLA Orange and I don’t even want to open it before I level the bed.

Also I think I should update the firmware to the community one before I try to level and print again, but I’m not %100 sure.

I tried leveling it at 0.20, 0.25, and 0.30 and they were all turning out to be not sticking to the plate, and would seem to be too close, but when I tried the 0.30 I felt like it was too far away and was just refusing to stick the plate and instead was just rolling up all along the nozzle.

It’s upsetting…

Have you tried any bed adhesion?
1 hairspray light layer
Option 2 glue stick. Washable.
3 blue painters tape. 3m. Not duck tape

1 Like

No bc my printer should be working. I think I need go wash the bed with alcohol but it was working fine at the mill, better than fine actually. Only issue is that maybe the whole “3D-Printer” z-axis arm might be I leveled but I’m not sure. Doesn’t seem to give inconsistencies but I don’t really know yet. I think maybe washing the bed would help, I just have to pick up some %91 isopropyl.

Maybe after a wash if it still isnt working a layer of glue stick would work. I hate using tape and hairspray seems messy.

The tape method works well and has no residue. Its actually what im using right now

Yeah I’m just anal about how the tape is laid and get very frustrated with not-perfect things.

Should be that the bed just needs an alcohol cleaning.

I’ve always used tape. Get to the point where you can build a raft layer and your prints will be minty fresh

1 Like